NORA QUOIRIN: ‘MISADVENTURE’ VERDICT FOR GIRL FOUND IN MALAYSIAN JUNGLE.

Share to
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The 15-year-old, who has special needs, vanished on August 4 from an eco-resort in Dusun where she was staying with her parents and two siblings. The body was found earlier today by a member of the search and rescue team as the hunt entered its 10th day. Negri Sembilan police chief Mohamad Mat Yusop confirmed the body found was that of the missing teenager.

In the statement, issued through the Lucie Blackman Trust, the family said they witnessed 80 slides presented in court as the verdict was given, adding that none of them “engaged with who Nóra really was – neither her personality nor her intellectual abilities”.

They said: “The coroner made mention several times of her inability to rule on certain points due to not knowing Nóra enough.

“It is indeed our view that to know Nóra would be to know that she was simply incapable of hiding in undergrowth, climbing out a window and making her way out of a fenced resort in the darkness unclothed

The statement added: “We believe we have fought not just for Nóra but in honour of all the special needs children in this world who deserve our most committed support and the most careful application of justice.

“This is Nóra’s unique legacy and we will never let it go.”

Fom the outset Meabh Quoirin believed her daughter had been abducted but Malaysian police insisted Nóra’s disappearance had always been a missing persons case and ruled out any criminal involvement.

The authorities closed the case in January 2020, and Nóra’s parents pushed for the inquest

During the inquest, a British pathologist who carried out a second post-mortem examination said Nóra’s body had no injuries to suggest she was attacked or restrained.

On the final day of evidence, an investigating officer who was on duty the morning Nóra was reported missing said he was confident there were no criminal elements involved in her disappearance.

Following the coroner’s verdict, the Quoirins’ legal team have discussed the family’s rights moving forward, which include the possibility of applying for a revision of the misadventure verdict at the High Court of Seremban.

Louise Azmi, one lawyer for the family, said they had pressed for an open verdict to reflect the lack of positive evidence in the case regarding what happened to Nora.

An open verdict would leave open the possibility that a criminal element was involved in Nora’s death, Mrs Azmi said.

She told the BBC based on everything the family know of Nora, “they continue to believe it is impossible she would have willingly walked away into the jungle”.

The family’s legal team say parents Meabh and Sebastien Quoirin are “disappointed” with today’s verdict.

But, Coroner Maimoonah Aid said her verdict was made not on “theories” and “speculation” surrounding the case, but on the balance of probabilities of the evidence presented before her.

With no evidence to the contrary she ruled out foul play.

Moving forward, the Quoirin family now have the possibility to apply for a revision of the verdict with the High Court of Seremban.

There is precedent of a verdict being overturned in Malaysia before.

In 2019, following an appeal, a Malaysian coroner’s verdict of misadventure concerning the death of 18-year-old model Ivana Smit was overturned in Kuala Lumpur and reopened as a murder investigation.

According to Quoirin family lawyer Sakthy Vell, the family say they now need time to consider their next course of action.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.